Monday, May 31, 2010

Not Studying

Alright, I'm burnt out. I'm entering finals week and I just don't feel like studying. Obviously I've done a little bit (or else I would be a mess) but I'm sick of everything and I'm procrastinating. Yesterday I went shopping to help a friend find shoes for prom, and today I'm blogging. At this point, I'm even doing SAT homework instead of studying.

About two weeks ago I went a little crazy and bought six books for under $15 on Amazon. One of them was by Camille Paglia, a feminist that our history teacher told us about. I was interested in buying one of her books because she doesn't believe in feminism in the typical sense. She believes that the reason why American society is so advanced is because women find power attractive and men are trying to impress them. Here are some of my favorite quotes by her:


"Woman is the dominant sex. Men have to do all sorts of stuff to prove that they are worthy of woman's attention."


"Men know they are sexual exiles. They wander the earth seeking satisfaction, craving and despising, never content. There is nothing in that anguished motion for women to envy."


"It is capitalist America that produced the modern independent woman. Never in history have women had more freedom of choice in regard to dress, behavior, career, and sexual orientation."


This is the book I bought: In Break, Blow, Burn Paglia looks at forty-three poems and analyzes them. When I first started reading it, I immediately jumped to Sylvia Plath's "Daddy" because I love Sylvia Plath. I haven't gotten far in the analysis because it's long and I really should be studying.


Alright, that's enough for now. Expect a lot more posts when we finally start summer. Sorry this wasn't fashion related, but I just thought I should share what I am currently reading.

Tootles,
Mamie



No comments:

Post a Comment